Monday, September 7, 2009

The End

This is the end.  My only friend, the end.

Today is the end of summer.  Tomorrow I can no long shirk responsibility and must become a grown-up again.  The alarm is set for 6:30.  The homeschooling schedule has been set.  We all know what we have to do.  Now, we just have to do it.  Tomorrow is the beginning.

For the last week I have felt like crap.  I have been congested and have been basically feeling like warmed over turds.  So this weekend, I didn't get much accomplished.  Neither did Crab Mama, since she was feeling about the same for the last couple of days.  I read a bit today.  Sat on the couch and read.  I don't do that much.  Today I said "F*ck it, I am going to sit my John Big-Bootie on the couch and read!" And that is what I did.

Yesterday we had the strangest visit of a relative that I have ever had.  Ever.

I figure that you can measure the length of stay of a relative by some factors, some of which include how long it took them to get to your place, how close you are, how long it has been since you have seen each other and how many other people you have to visit while you are in town.

Crab Mama's family sort of breaks many of these rules.  For example, when her Dad comes and visits us (a 45 minute drive each way), he typically only stays for about 30-60 minutes, which puts his travel time over his visit time.  Interestingly, we only see him 2-3 times a year, which seems like it would mean that the visits should be longer.  Also considering that he isn't very busy at all (so the variable drops out of the equation), you can solve for the variable "closeness".  As is self-evident, this is relatively low.

Yesterday blew all my understanding of "closeness" (or "strangeness") out of the water.

Crab Mama's aunt was going to be in town for a day.  She flew into Indianapolis and was there for work or something.  Yesterday morning she drove up and was visiting with old friends and seeing where she used to live and such.  Now, she used to live about 5 miles from us, so we were told that she was in town.  About 6:00 yesterday, she calls and says "hey, do you mind if I stop over and visit?"  Crab Mama says, "Sure, you are more than welcome!"  So, we quickly clean up the house and prepare for the imminent arrival.

About 30 minutes later, the doorbell rings, the dogs go nuts, and she has arrived.  Crab Mama steps outside to give her aunt a hug, and they just stand there.  Her aunt brought a friend.  I was standing in the kitchen, waiting for them to come in, but they just stood there.  After about 2 minutes of talking, Crab Mama says "you can come in", but her aunt says "oh, no, we need to go".  Uh. Ok.  We convinced her to come into the house.  She stepped in and looks around (like, stands there and looks around).  We talk for a minute about dinner and such and she mentions that she is going to go out to dinner and has to go because she has to go to dinner with her friend (who is standing right there).  We suggested a restaurant and they left.  It was clear that they were going to the restaurant by themselves. So, uh, maybe they would ask us if we wanted to go? Spend a little time with your niece? WTF?  They were there for literally less than 5 minutes.  Crab Mama hasn't seen her aunt in about 5 years or so.  And all it comes to is a five minute visit?  That was just bizarre.  My world is turned upside down.

1 comment:

spacecataz said...

Spoiler alert: Crab Mama's aunt was on a date.

Hmmm... your perspective on the start of the academic year is one that I haven't had since I was still taking classes. It was a relief to see such autumnal anxiety melt into... well, constant but less pronounced anxiety. I've forgotten that if you stay in academia (or have kids of grade school age), that bi-yearly pattern returns. YOU ARE A HARBINGER OF WHAT IS TO COME, CRABBY ONE!