Saturday, July 12, 2008

Music

I love music. Here is a little bit of what I really love:

When I was but a wee child, I really liked 80s alternative rock stuff. Like New Order, Depeche Mode, OMD, etc. I guess I should confess, my first album was Cindi Lauper's She's So Unusual. But my favorite group was The Police. Ghost in the Machine is one my perfect albums. Wait, I almost forgot, my sister introduced me to many, many groups - Run DMC, The Bee Gees, Price, Egyptian Lover (ha ha!!!), Abba, etc.

In High School, I fell into a little White Snake. My mother was horrified. I mean, holy crap, I had a White Snake poster! Wow.

Then, I saw some of the light. I got a Pink Floyd album late in high school. It was something like a best of tape. Still didn't quite see the light, though. I listened to The Wall for the first time in college. And the Black album by Metallica. College. Can you believe it?

I guess everyone and their brother listened to Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Alice in Chains. Smashing Pumpkins. Well, I bet you didn't listen to Underworld. Maybe you listened to Ministry? I did. Jesus and the Mary Chain.

Post College. Let's see. Uh.... More Underworld. They turned techno. Love the techno crap. But it needs more than just the beat.

And then I became angry. Metallica, Metallica, Metallica. Maybe a little Tool. Rage Against the Machine. Really, f*cking angry. Like, Stigmata off of Ministry's Live album is just about right.

Ok, at the same time that I had been very, very angry, I listened to a lot of other, more mello, stuff. Like Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Dave Matthews Band, Peter Gabriel. Oh, I listened to Phil Collins a bit too. Genesis - Nursery Crymes is one of the best albums made.

Now what do I listen to? Pretty much the same thing as always. Lately I have been listening to Guano Apes, Flyleaf (chics rock!), Bach's Cello solos (but only when we are eating dinner), and Metallica's concerts (how cool is it that they make their concerts available on the web?).

Alright. Gotta go to bed.

No comments: